How Healthy Habits Hurt YouMarch 13, 2017
Dealing with FeelingsApril 29, 2017
Two of the biggest destroyers of happiness are worry and fear. Those feelings are created from how we think about the events in our lives.
We worry about everything under the sun from the weather to our health. Worry gives the mind something to do, but it doesn’t solve a damn thing. Most of us have figured that out all ready, but we do it anyway.
Quotes on Worry:
- “People gather bundles of sticks to build bridges they never cross.” ~Author Unknown
- “You can’t wring your hands and roll up your sleeves at the same time.” ~Pat Schroeder
- “Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it gets you nowhere.” ~Glenn Turner
Fear is good in particular circumstances because it’s our systems way of keeping us safe from harm.
But helpful fear is designed for dangerous situations, such as fear of walking down a dark alley in the inner city. That would probably be a great fear to have. Unfortunately, most of us fear things that aren’t going to be the cause of death or dismemberment.
We know that fear isn’t healthy, but just like worry, we do it anyway.
Quotes on Fear
- “Death is not the biggest fear we have; our biggest fear is taking the risk to be alive — the risk to be alive and express what we really are. ~ Don Migue Ruiz
- “Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live.” ~ Dorothy Thompson
- “Don’t be afraid to go out on a limb. That’s where the fruit is.” ~ H. Jackson Brown Jr.
The most powerful way to relieve yourself from worry and fear is to stay in the present moment. Happiness, peace, and power are gifts of remaining fully aware in each moment as it comes upon you.
Quotes on the Present Moment
- “The ability to be in the present moment is a major component of mental wellness.” ~ Abraham Maslow
- “With the past, I have nothing to do; nor with the future. I live now.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Nothing is worth more than this day.” ~Johann Wolfgang Von
There are many activities that will bring you fully into the present. My free eBook “Hey, You Look Different” (No registration required) is a short read loaded with some great information to get you started. You can find it at: https://omlifelab.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Hey-You-Look-Different.pdf